Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection Sharing Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipor

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
US
I want to share multiple computers with a single internet connection. I have a Win2k machine with a cable modem. Instead of purchasing a router, is it possible to turn on intenect connection sharing on my main computer? Will I need to install a second network card? So my cable modem would be connected to one network card and the switch to the other network card? Will this work? What information do I need to know. I don't want to really use a 2nd party software, because you have to buy and the price goes up for the more users you want to use. Any information would greatly be appreciated.

The 2nd card is best.

Run your private LAN subnet addressing from one card in the host and all the local network clients.

Run the ISP assigned IP address from the other card on the host.

Point all your clients "gateway" to the cable connected host's LAN side ip address.

Then share the card on the ISP side to the LAN clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back