Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection Sharing on XP???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi All,

I'm attempting to install Cisco VPN client on Windows XP Home Edition. Upon the initial install dialogs being started, I get a message saying that the Cisco VPN client is not compatible with Microsoft's ICS. Uninstall ICS.

I'm an above-novice pc user and a new XP user. I found in the network settings where ICS is being used, but I have no idea how to 'uninstall' it or if I even want to do that for that matter. I attempted to uncheck the ICS box in my lan connection and retry the install. No good.

Can anyone tell me if uninstalling ICS will cause me further problems with my cable modem? Is ICS even 'Uninstall'able? If so, how do you go about doing it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

I ran into this exact same problem. I resolved it by going to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. You will see a service for Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)/ Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). You need to right click and stop this service. Then double click and set the startup type to "disabled". You should now be able to get past the error message in the Cisco VPN Client install.

Robert

You have to disable the service; I couldn't find a way to uninstall it either. From the control panel:

1. Open the Windows Control Panel by clicking on the Start button, then "Settings" and then "Control Panel".

2. Double-click the "Performance and Maintenance" icon.

3. Double-click the "Administrative Settings" icon.

4. Double-click the "Services" icon.

5. From the list of services, locate the Internet Connection Sharing service. It might also be named the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service. Right-click on this service and select "Properties".

6. In the properties dialog box, click the "Stop" button.

7. After the service has stopped, select "Disabled" from the drop-down (combination) box. (The other choices are "Automatic" and "Manual".)

8. Click "OK" and close any unneeded open windows. There is no need to restart your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back