Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection sharing from XP to linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

USSlinux

Technical User
Feb 16, 2003
US
In my area there are very few ISPs the only one that is readly avalable is AOL. Since AOL has no linux support I was wondering if anyone knows how to share a connection from a machine running XP to a Linux box. I have a samba server up and running.

Greetings!

If you want the XP machine connected to the internet and the Linux box on the same local network, then the answer would seem to be:
On the XP box, Properties for the dial-up network connection, select "Advanced" and check "allow other network users to connect ..." and "allow other network users to control ..."
This will extablish internet connection sharing on the XP box -- and will change its IP address on your network to 192.168.0.1. (You can change it back to whatever you want by changing the IP address on the NIC. -- We'll assume you don't do that.)
Make the internet connection as usual and make sure you can talk.

[I wouldn't activate the XP firewall, but would recommend ZoneAlarm Pro as the firewall of choice.]

On the Linux box, set your default gateway to 192.168.0.1. That may be done by entering the address into /etc/mygate; typing
route add gw 192.168.0.1
or by some other means (depending upon your distribution).

If you need more detailed help, feel free to ask.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back