Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattNeeley

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2004
US
Ran into the odd problem. Ok, This computer on the network CAN connect to the internal network and can do just about anything it wants (within policy and restrictions) but it cannot connect to the internet. All of the settings are right, the cable is good as well as what i can tell of the adapter. All tests check out and it's only recently started happening. It's not just IE either, we tried opera and a couple other internet apps and none of them will connect at all. Pings to the outbound addresses work but anything farther then our router is lost. The logs show a problem with the IPSEC service but nothing more and the service cannot be made to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

have you got any kind of a Proxy client installed? Sounds like it is capable of seeing to the "big grey cloud" but is probably got a setting for an outbound server (proxy) somewhere..??
L

I checked that too...the network connection settings all match up right. It's really weird, I've never seen anything like it. There are no proxies here just a netopia router as the gateway.

If you can't ping past the router, check the router settings and any firewall that may be inplace.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back