Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netwrkengeer

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2001
US
I have a cable modem (DHCP), and a netgear nic, the problem is I get the correct IP address, I can connect to the internet with IE, but I can not connect to any servers via FTP, and I can not perform a live update with nortons, and I cannot connect to my IMAP server.
it was working last week, and I can not think of anything I changed. what do you think

also I can not connect to any websites inside an AOL browser

Hmm..you can browse around in IE but cant connect to FTP or IMAP, and nothing from within AOL?

Is IE your default browser? Can you connect to FTP via command line? Are you set to "Never dial a connection" in your IE settings? Can you ping any FTP server? Do you have a firewall setup? Are you properly obtaining DNS settings from DHCP..could be your ISP's DNS server is down, or not functioning.

Let us know if you've checked these things, then post back with as much info as you can.

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Is IE your default browser? -YES
Can you connect to FTP via command line? -NO
Are you set to "Never dial a connection" in your IE settings? -YES
Can you ping any FTP server? -YES
Do you have a firewall setup? -NO
Are you properly obtaining DNS settings from DHCP -YES
could be your ISP's DNS server is down, or not functioning -I Can connect to the ftp, and Imap, and view through AOL, from other machines

Ok - Lets start one at a time then..
Live update is easy enough. Go into your liveupdate in Control Panel, and verify/check that "use passive mode" is checked.

Does this work? If not - are you set to use a proxy somewhere mistakenly in your Browser(s)?
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I checked the use passive mode, but I still get the same problem

"LiveUpdate was unable to establish a connection to the LiveUpdate server.

If you use America Online, CompuServe or Prodigy Internet to connect to the Internet, you will need to connect to the Internet before you run LiveUpdate. LiveUpdate works with AOL versions 3.0 and above for Windows 95/98 and Windows NT. Once connected to the Internet run LiveUpdate with the Internet connection option. If you continue to have problems, verify your Modem and Internet settings.

Click Retry to try again or Cancel to exit."

with ftp, from the command line or from wsftp I get "connection refused"

with IMAP I get "could not fetch new headers in the inbox. an unknown error has occurred. please save any existing work and restart the program"

within AOL I do not get any errors it just hangs

I have no proxy setup it is set to auto detect.
The problem is this all worked before and I have made no changes to my system, and I can access all these things from other machines, and I can get to any internet site via Internet Explorer 5.50.

Go to add remove programs and IE 5.5 has a repair option when you choose to uninstall it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back