Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection cut in 1/2 using Vista Premium 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLHobby1

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
Hello,

I am running an HP m8000n with Vista 32bit, Linksys WCG200 cable/modem (FW off), NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, Norton Internet Security 2007 w/ update (FW on) and a 3mb downstream 512kb upstream connection. I also have no issues with my ISP or infections.... clean bill of health!

When I click on my LAC and view status the IPv6 connectivity says 'limited' and when I go to Norton Service Activities it shows that my connection keeps cycling through and listing the 'Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface was blocked' and the 'ISATAP was blocked'.

I have contacted HP and my ISP IT support (they didn't have a clue what I was talking about)

I am fairly versed in computers for the most part, however I have zero idea what all of this is or means especially since I am new to Vista with on 2 1/2 weeks under my belt? Could this affecting my connection speed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

To be honest I haven't a clue what your talking about either, but that's never stopped me answering a question before.

Is it something like this you are seeing?

Vista and HTTP Browsing Problems
thread1583-1360764

How to turn off Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection?
thread1583-1368124

See if some bandwidth throttling is being caused by this?

Vista Auto-Tuning

I disabled Auto Tuning, however disabling the vs6 is a little confusing to me. The DWORD part is what throws me for a loop......

To selectively disable components and configure behaviors for IPv6 in Windows Vista, create and configure the following registry value (DWORD type):

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

It prompts me saying that it is not an internal or external command?? I think i may be entering it wrong?

On an other note I rebuilt the OS and still had the same problems, but I purchased Uniblu Powersuite to clean up my reg files and there was 99 errors, which it fixed. So now it seems to operate correctly for about a day and then goes into the same old routine until I do another reg fix??

I'm not going to give up or be a Vista hater because I am sure these issues will eventually iron out, but man is it frustrating!! Thanks for all of your help!!

See if, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters is the Registry Key, and DisabledComponents
is the new DWORD Value Name you are trying to Create, and 0 or 1 is the Value data for the new value you create?

Launch RegEdit and use the Help program as it is your best source of information about RegEdit.
These following links take the subject a bit further too.

310516 - How To Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a Registration Entries (.reg) File

310426 - How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor Features

I remember the first time I looked at the Registry and how daunting it all seemed, but with time and plenty of safety nets (see below) it soon becomes as familiar as using Explorer.

If you change a key or value, use the Export function to save a copy of any key prior to your change. You just right-click on the highlighted key to find Export.

To backup the whole Registry for easy re-installation (even from other operating systems or DOS) I recommend this free program.

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back