Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection (conceptual) issue with broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheguvera

Programmer
Oct 13, 2005
GB
Hi All,

I have an issue with my broadband connection.

I am in UK and is using broadband internet from my cable operator NTL. The cable comes out of the cable box, goes into the cable modem and that is connected to my Win98 PC on USB port.

This all worked fine till recently, but 2 days back my Win98 PC had big problems and i decided to abandon it.

I have a XP-Pro Laptop. On this Laptop, I have used various ISPs (only dialup) before, like AOL, NTL etc.

I just took out the USB connection cable from old PC and plugged it into the Laptop's USB and started the laptop.

There are certain things I have observed,

- If I ping some internet site ( etc), that works
- In Control Panel -> Network Connections, I can see 2 sections, one for dialup connections and other for LAN connections
- In dialup section, I can see all the ISP connections I have used before and in LAN connections, I can see 2 of my USB ports and the network connection. The USB connection for broadband is visible, enabled and looks fine. Also, in the properties of the USB connection, I can see 0 packets sent and few packets received
- The small connectivity icon at the right bottom of the screen (2 computers) has a red cross on it, showing I am not connected
- I am slightly confused about the settings I should do in InternetExplorer -> Tools -> Internet Options
- In internet Options, I checked the box 'Never dialup connection', in 'Lan Settings' I checked the box "Automatically detect settings". But when I start IE, it still goes for some dialup connection
- In the dialup connections, I can make one of the connections as my default connection. This is not possible for LAN connections

Questions

- How should I make my IE to look at the USB cable modem connection?
- The way I have took the cable out of one PC and put it to another PC, is that correct?
- Is USB cable modem connection a LAN connection?
- Is there anything like Proxy server in all this setup?
- The annoying advertising Pop-ups have started comming up, does this means that I am connected to internet?

Please help.

Thanks in advance

If you can ping the external address, then technically you are connected.

You are basically saying that you can ping, but your websites display?

Have you tried downloading and installing Netscape/Firefox/Opera?

A USB connection is not a LAN connection.

Have you run the USB Modem installation from the CD you got with your modem?

In the IE settings
Tools > Options > Connections > SELECTNever Dial a Connection > Click LAN Settings > Make sure NO BOXES ARE CHECKED

AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS = No
USE AUTOMATIC CONFIGURATION SCRIPTS = No
USE PROXY SERVER = No

> Click OK > Click Apply > Click OK

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor