Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection Being Killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobHudson

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
GB
Hello!

Got a wierd one here...
Every now and then my SQL Server process goes mental and takes up around 80 to 90% of the processor time. Subsequently, it kills my internet connection :(

When I end the process and then disconnect/reconnect my network cable, back comes the internet connection. The only other way to do it is to reboot.

It is SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition running on XP Pro.

It is a broadband connection using ethernet directly to the modem.

Any ideas??

Cheers
Rob

Did you setup to "Boost SQL Server prioruty on windows"?If yes,disable it.
Go to database maintenance plans to see the processor option and check for the priority setting.
Or
Go to task manager to setup the sqlservr.exe to normal or below normal priority

Hi Claire :D

The priority is set to 'Normal' for sqlserver.exe in Task Manager. As it just a local install I don't have any Maintenance Plans running.

That's the wierd thing it seems to be fine, then all of a sudden just goes crazy!!

Thanks
Rob

Hey there!

Product Version: 8.00.534
Product Level: SP2
Edition: Personal Edition

SP2 has been on for a while now.

Thanks ;)
Rob

I notice you only have SQL Server Service pack 2. You just might have the SQL Slammer worm. Run your virus checker and see if it picks it up (make sure it's up-to-date on signatures).

Check out this web site:
Finding and Fixing Slammer Vulnerabilities:

-SQLBill

Oooh! Completely forgot about our old chum 'Slammer'!

I'm downloading SP3 and will run a virus check.

Shall keep you posted!

For future reference.

I think this problem is now solved. I added the SQL Server 2000 critical update [which sorts out Slammer] and all seems to be well :D

Thanks evryone for your help!
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back