Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet cafe software licensing ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronde

Technical User
Feb 5, 2005
ZA
Hey!!!

Im setting up an internet cafe and i'd like to know if anyone out there is able to thro in some suggestions on licensing

I got 15 clients , 1 server, i'd like to install XP pro on all clients but paying the price for the licensing of all 15 is not in my clients budget, friend of mine suggested terminal server whereby i only pay for one license.

Is this possible and how do i go bout doin this ????

Please, any suggestions wud be very much appreciated.

Regards

Hey, I said it, but I couldn't actually do it! You can't ignore its existance though. One might even suggest that the server might be better off as a Linux box.

I'm MS through and through, but if it's just down to price........

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

I would suggest putting it in your customers budget.

===

Fatman Superstar (Andrew James)

CCNA, CCAI

I know a few shops changing over their entire backend to Linux due to its power and flexibility. It's the only reason I'm starting to do the "self-taught" thing with it.

But more to the point of this problem, your client is going to have to purchase licensing, they've just got to choose their "poison".

Each machines XP license should already be settled, unless these aren't new machines. If these aren't new machines look at the cost of an "upgrade" license vs the price of a full license.

1. Windows 2k3 server license
2. Device/User CAL necessary (15 in this instance)
3. IF you utilize TS then you need an additional CAL for each TS connection.

As Bozz stated, you need to talk with your client, there isn't a way around this issue.

Other possibilities (provided you haven't purchased the clients yet) are to utilize some of the newer model thin clients. You'll need a more powerful server, but these clients cost about 400 and come with IE built in. You save about the cost of the XP license for this style of configuration. But a bit of warning for you, this setup also takes quite a bit more configuration and testing on your behalf.

thanx guys

Spoke to client, as bozz mentioned,..."I suppose that Linux would be the obvious answer."...im gonna setup Linux as File server (Obviously for stability reasons and its free ofcourse), purchase 15 XP pro user licences as its all custom built PC's due to compatibility issues for lan gaming aswell, a seprate server at the paypoint counter of the i-caf for network management software and a backup server close to Linux and that shud be it !!!

If anyone has hikup's or suggestions please drop a line.

thanks again

What city are you setting this up in?

I have some experience setting up and installing Internet Cafes... from a business standpoint make sure there is a real draw...

Everyone I have had experience with, the people never seemed to understand why people didn't want to spend money to surf the internet and play games...

You make the most money when you host tournaments(like Unreal, etc..) for free, but sell lunch & drinks with it.

Just a business idea I'll throw out there for ya, because I like to idea of the Internet Cafes, but they don't work to well unless the business owner understands how to bring in his target audience.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back