Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Browsing corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solutus

Technical User
Jun 28, 2002
US
I have Windows XP Home with America Online 9.0. Everything was running fine until one day when I got all these startup messages that the comres.dll could not be found. I replaced the comres.dll file as well as reinstalled (not reformatted) Windows XP. The messages didn't come up anymore but I had issues with AOL. When I try to open it, a message comes up saying "AOL will now install files necessary to connect to the internet..." It looks like it installs the files but nothing happens. If I open it again, same message. So I removed 9.0 and installed AOL 8.0. Now I can sign in to AOL and send and receive email but no internet browsing. If connected, I open Internet Explorer 6.0, I get "page cannot be displayed". So...I don't think it's just AOL, I wonder if it's something with Windows XP or IE. Anyone had this problem or know a fix?

For the 'Page cannot be displayed' thing, I've seen a few people with ZoneAlarm firewalls that had the settings on high. I turned that down to Medium and they were able to access the internet.
Do you have any kind of firewall? You use Internet Explorer?

It sounds maybe like a spyware issue or the disc you installed it from! Also check your firewall settings and your internet settings. The this page cannot displayed thing either you might have a bad url or I would type in a website like and see if anything pops up! If not then see if you even are recieving an ip! Run type cmd type ipconfig!

faq779-4625

Be careful too, as AOL often installs LAN miniports and Proxy settings.

Either of these mixed-up from various versions of AOL can be an issue.

Before taking the advice in the FAQ above, do a manual cleanup of AOL:

. Follow these instructions:
. Reboot, and install the most recent version of AOL you have.

. Reboot and try the connection again.

. Now try the FAQ if no joy.

These articles have some checklists in them in case cleaning up AOL doesn't work.

You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in Various Programs

Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP

This site also has some good thoughts on the issue:
You Receive a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Post to a Site That Requires Authentication

Thanks bcastner and linney for the tips. I will try them later. Also, I will add to my post that I had installed SpyBot and Ad-aware and scanned for all spyware. There is no third party or windows firewall installed.

I think it is more a conflict with AOL and IE. There is a pop-up that comes up that talks about installing net adapters.

I'll let you know if this fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back