Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Addressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagrtj

MIS
Nov 12, 2002
I have to tackle that big ugly project that I have avoided for this long. Internet Addressing!!! Here is what I have... 9000+ accounts, 20 MTA's, 300 POA's, 1 GWIA.
All the accounts have gateway alias' and I read that those will take precedence over IA. Good for now. I am going to export a list of all users first, last, userID, and alias. I will identify all the dup's. There are no dup userID's, I am worried about the Robert Smith's. We are using first.last@domain.
Questions...
Can I turn it on domain by domain? or is it System wide from the get go?
What will happen with duplicate first.last? Will I have to change thier name in NDS? Doesn't it pull that info from NDS first/last name fields?

Everything I read says oh 6 clicks and 10 keystrokes and it is done. Great, except that one part in BOLD CAPITALS...ONCE YOU TURN IT ON DON'T TRY TO TURN IT OFF. That scares me.

One more thing. Entire system is GW 6 SP1

You might want to take a look @ this little utility, if you haven't already, that a fellow GW Admin in California I know swore by. Haven't taken the time to check it out myself. Right now Rule Based addressing works for my system. And yes, once IA gets activated you might as well embrace it. It is like a Mother-In-Law visit, hard to get rid of. Can't comment on the rest of your concerns, I have a habit of not doing in-depth research on something until I need to implement it.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Thanks for the link. We are bringing in a bunch of blackberry's using the MX sofware to push GW to wireless. Addressing email will be much easier with IA, and I know we are going to have to do it anyway later. So I jumped in with both feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back