Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet access problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAClarke

Instructor
Sep 3, 2001
GB
Yesterday evening I tried to help a friend of mine set up internet access on his lap top. I set this up manually but when it came to connecting I got the message "Access was denied because the username and / or password was invalid on the domain" I have checked everything over and over again until I have gone mad. In utter desperation I created an identical account on my own computer (with my friends permission). I am able to connect and send and receive email fine.

What could possibly be wrong with his computer, I have run out of ideas. I have tried other internet providers and got exactly the same problem, but I know that what I type is correct.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Just wanted to make sure that when logged in as administrator. Go to administration Tools, local sercurity policies, then User Rights Assignments. Look in the right pane and make sure Access this computer from the network has everyone listed. You also want to make sure no policies are defined in IP Security Policies. One other thing Check in Services to make sure the settings are applicable. You didnt mention if this is Dialup, VPN or a Via NIC Connection. If you need to set a fixed IP. Go to Start/ Accessories/ Command Prompt. Type IPCONFIG/all then hit enter. This will give you the current settings. If they are in correct. type IPCONFIG/release or IPCONFIG/? to change them. hope this helps. SMac "Never Argue with an Idiot. They will Lower You to Their Level, Then Beat YOU with Experience"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back