Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

International / Japanese Keyboard Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierceit

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
I have windows XP installed on a Sony Vaio PCG-U101. This is one of those ultra-small laptops, and is only made in Japan. My boss really wanted it, so I got it, however, it has a non-US Standard keyboard (i.e. - the SHIFT of the number 2 is not @ but is ", etc.).

My boss was on the road and had some difficulty with his language settings. Rather than switching the regional settings from East Asian (Japanese) to English, he decided to completely remove East Asian Language support.

Now, he has a stand US keyboard layout, with one problem: The labelling on the keyboard does not match what he sees when he types. I tried re-installing East Asian language support and switching to the US-International keyboard, but that didn't help. Ideas? Anyone know how to type in English using the keyboard layout the Japanese use?

Several possibilities, (assuming I understand the issue correctly):

1. Ask Sony for a different keyboard. I know for Dell, IBM and other brands they have them as replaceable parts. I suspect so does Sony.

2. Remap the keyboard. It is very flexible from a software perspective:
3. You can purchase stick-on replacements for the keytops themselves after doing step #2 above: The ones I know of:

Inclusive Technologies
Granada Learning SEMERC
High Vision – Dolphin
Technovision
Pulsedata

See:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back