Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

International Dialing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbankscharles

Technical User
Oct 8, 2023
US
I am being asked to do something that I've never done with an Avaya IP Office System; set up and allow one user to make international calls.

After reviewing several posts from here, and numerous documents I still do not understand everything that must be done, or is it simply adding a short code.
My system is as follows:

IP V500 2
Version 11.0.4.1.0 build 11
This would be for an analogue phone with DID routing
Dial 9 for outside line

Any guidance on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Charles

Start by telling us something about the current config, and how making international calls has been blocked for all other users.

The most likely is to make a copy of the existing ARS50 where I assume international calls have been block. In the copy, reenable international calls.

Then for the user, add a user short code same as the system 9N shortcode, but with the group set to the new ARS that allows international calls.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Joe is correct, thanks for post sizbut. This is the part I don't understand, there doesn't appear to be anything in my ARS50 for international calling. That may be what is missing, all the systems I've managed have always had the ARS configured. Here is my ARS50:

ARS50_zknrew.png

(Thanks for star Westi)

Then you have to scour the whole configuration. If user X dials an international number, which user short code does it match? If none, which system short code does it match? Scan for short codes set to Barred.

If its not being do through ARS50, as you've shown, you've already got a very non-standard config so we are guessing the dark unless you want to share the whole config.

It would not surprise me that the config is non-standard, this is the most messed up system I've worked on.

Are you asking me to export my configuration and attach it to this post? I'd be more than happy to do whatever you ask if you can help me out.

If that's what you want, please let me know and I'll attach it.

Thanks

I am ready to send the configuration file that I've exported, I just want to make sure that is what Sizbut is asking for. Please let me know if you are still willing to help me.

Thanks

careful with the export as it contains a lot more information than the actual configuration and the passwords can be decrypted.

It is better to remove sensitive information like passwords from the config file and then post that here.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

hello sbankcharles
the export is a tricky thing to read and I just looked at the ARS entries and ARS 51 for the analog lines is the only one that does not allow calls starting with 0

50 has actually 0N; in it and 52 has xN; in it which both would be used by the system to call overseas.
However the 0N seems to go to a different line ID but again reading in the export is tricky and I usually don't do that as the config is so much easier to read.

I cannot look into the user settings in the export as I am gray enough :)

Just follow the path of the call for the user
If there is a user shortcode 9N then that is the path to take. If there is no user shortcode then the system shortcode 9N is used which points to ARS 50

All digits after the 9 use the shortcodes within the ARS so the 0N; in the ARS 50 is the one that has to work to allow overseas calls.

sizbut explained perfectly how it has to work. Read through that again and just follow that.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

I found a config that I made up once and adjusted it.

Look at it and you will see 2 ARS' and User shortcodes (via profile but you can also do it manually)

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Sizbut probably did explain it very well and (trust me) I've read his comments several times. This is all helping sort through this and I just realized there is another piece to this. One other environment I have not worked is an SCN. I understand concepts of it but may have lost sight of something.

The system I have provided information on is the one which handles all call routing as LAN 1 is connected directly to our SIP provider. The resident who wants to make the call is on another system. There is one ARS, ARS50 Main. That has the 011N; with a Dial 3K1 feature. Do I need to add the same to AR50 of the system I showed you?
North_Tower_ARS50_qovi3d.png

I also do see that ARS51 has 0N; Barred. This is the other part I don't understand, which line group to use.

I will now look at the file you sent me.

Thanks again.

OK so that is a whole different ballgame, actually no but it adds another level of information.

Please start with ALL information when you ask for assistance as that would have been resolved by sizbut including all information you need in the first reply.

Here how it works
Copy the ARS in the originating system and paste it creating a new one.
change the 99x... in the telephone numbers of ALL entries to *2409x... (basically replacing the leading 9 with *240)
create a User shortcode that points the 9N calls to that new ARS

9N
dial
N
new ARS

Then go and create a system shortcode in the system that makes the calls
*240N
dial
N
ARS that is allowed to call internationally

DONE

You can use any shortcode you want in the system that dials out really but I like 3 digit codes or bigger to give me enough room to grow.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

I afraid I gave up on the CSV. It wouldn't import into Manager and I don't have the patience to walk through the CSV.

You could save the whole config offline (File | Save Configuration As...). Then use File | Offline | Open File... to open it and edit anything you think is sensitive, and share that file.

I apologize to both of you for not providing complete information. This has been extremely challenging for me both for what I know and don't know. The biggest issue I have with this topic is never having to deal with international calling. Since this system is so messed up I couldn't figure out if something was missing or just messed up. Since the system I first showed you handles all outgoing lines and routing I never thought to look at the second system for an ARS. When sizbut said "scour the config" and shortcodes I finally thought to look closely at the 2nd system. I'm still confused as line 17 is my network between systems.

So, you are saying copy that ARS from the 2nd system to make a new one on my main system, which would then include that line group. When you say change 99x of all entries, are you saying the two emergency codes? Which system do I add the shortcodes to?

I have never shared my configuration before nor have I ever loaded one onto a working IP Office. What I do with the export is open it in Excel and it very easy for me to look at things. I didn't think that you would want to load someone else's file.

Thanks for sticking with me, both of you.

Charles

yes that line ID 17 is correct

You dial in the first system and the dialing information gets sent via Line ID 17 to the second system.

The second system receives the dialing information with the the 9 included again and sends it to the ARS which connects out the (PRI, SIP or analog) line and the call is established.

it is a chain of (fortunate) events that makes the calls work on the first system as they have no lines themselves and need to connect via the second system.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Got It! Thanks, gentlemen for your help and working with me on this.
Normally I'm more organized with my posts but this system has buried.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back