Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

International characters in request parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwenting

Programmer
Dec 21, 2000
NL
I've made a JSP for a customer contact form.
The customer enters his email address and a message, the data is stored in a database table (and will in the future also be emailed to one of our email addresses).

The message is a simple HTML textarea.
When the text contains special characters (like German Umlaut or Ringel-S characters) the field isn't read correctly using request.getParameter().
On Orion 2.0 everything works as expected, making me believe there's something weird in the way Silverstream handles these characters.

Any idea for a workaround or fix?

We had a problem with foreign characters and this fix from Silverstream solved the problem.

SilverStream support have admitted that there is a problem with SQL server and foreign character sets. Their suggestion is to add the following line to the AgUserIni.props file in the resources directory;

com.sssw.srv.ambry.mbcs.AgOdbc=true

You then need to restart the SilverStream Server.

Cheers, but it isn't SQL Server.

After some experimentation I changed the content-type of the JSPs to UTF-8 which solved it (strangely on Orion this wasn't needed, which got me confused as that's what I used to test them...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back