Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal W2K DNS Server & MX Record listing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2003
US
I recently rebuilt my W2K DC & Exchange server due to hardware problems & after the job, the domain is up and the Exch 5.5 server is routing mail out via IMS, but for some reason it's not receiving ANY incoming external mail. The external MX record resolves fine & the router config seems good so I think the problem is either W2K internal DNS or I missed something on the Exchange config.

My gut tells me it is the internal DNS and I am hoping that one of you can just verify how the resolution and NS records should lay out. The mail server is a fixed internal IP, 10.x.x.4 which has a Host(A) record. Another reason why I think this is an internal DNS problem is that my OWA works fine using internal IP but will not resolve the external IP or the MX text record.

How can I set up a valid internal MX record and how would it look? Would it be in the same Forward Zone as the Domain records and do I need any Reverse Zone?

I am totally lost with DNS config so ANY tips or expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

For external mail to come in you are going to need an MX record pointing to a public IP. This is not going to need to be on an active directory integrated zone, but one available via the outside world. Usually you would have an mx record pointing to something like mail.domain.com. With an A record pointing from mail to a public ip. Since you are using NAT you would need to set up a one to one NAT or a static mapping depending on what type of firewall you are using pointing that public ip to 10.x.x.4. Once this is done try to telnet on port 25 to mail.domain.com from the outside world. If you can get to this point you should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back