Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal vs External Wireless Adapter for desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgTech

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2002
US
Does anyone have any input of the best way to go for a desktop? Internal wireless card vs External Wireless Box

Does the Internal card get any interference from the machine?

Thanks

For the internal card the antenna is located in the least desirable location (behind a big metal box), and has a limited range of motion for optimal orientation.

Use an external USB adapter when possible.

Picked up a usb connection for next to nothing made by Microsoft of all people. Didn't even know they were in manufacturing. Using SMC for everything else on my home network. Works great. Go usb for sure.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Glen,

MS is actually selling a ton of wireless routers and adapters. To me, at the moment, for a router you buy nothing other than a Linksys WRT54/GS, and use third-party firmware. See the active discussion in the Linksys Forum here: forum916
And in particular the links for the WRT54G.

For adapters, I think the safest would be to use anything Broadcom chipset based at the moment; and by the end of the year something chipset based by Aetheros.

There are excellent PCMCIA adapters, particularly if the antennas are oriented on the router for their Horizontal-plane pickup; but PCI adapeters for wireless have been very disappointing (my opinion); Linksys just introduced (in Europe, not the USA) a revision for their WMP54G adapter and /GS adapter. Expect it soon.

But to put a PCI adapter behind a reflective, huge, and "noisy" backplane of a personal computer strikes me as silly. In most cases other peripheral connections will make it difficult to orient the antenna for best reception.

Antenna location should be movable. USB adapters for wireless allow this. Think the early days of TV for a guess as to how a small movement in the antenna location can get you from no-signal to excellent signal. There is to much multi-path not to be able to move the antenna base ground device itself, and the antenna ear(s) for best reception, to restrict yourself to a PCI installation.

My opinion.
Bill

Sounds good. Not a pro on wireless as you can probably tell, but I put a booster, (WAP I believe) downstairs so I can go outside with my laptop. Thanks for the input.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Glen,

Read, play, with some of the discussion here: thread916-837246 This is today stuff.

I make the claim that for new rollouts in less than five years, that wired connections will be considered archaic, and for specialized uses. I depend on forum members such as you to remind me of this claim later and demand a TT-Coffee cup or similar gem of an item for being wrong.

My particular practice is "cable neutral"; I need to support wireless and cabled settings. But to be honest with you there is nothing "sexy" about a wired cable plant for me anymore, and I started as a serious sceptic of wireless not long ago.

I am honestly impressed with what can be done with existing wireless, and stunned with what is planned.

So, add to your reading list, my apologies.

With a great deal of respect for your Tek-Tips contributions,

Bill Castner

Thank you, Bill. No apologies needed, I've read your input for some time, and I'm always impressed with your input. Wished you lived closer to Chicago, I'd love to have you a member of Tek-Tips in Chicago, IL.
[medal]

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

My experience (bad mostly) with the PCMCIA versions running off a PCI adapter indicates that there is a ton of work still to be done by the manufacturers. Speedstream appeared to be fairly reliable at the beginning, but before the warranty ran out they crashed and were replaced by a new design that was equally as bad. SMC was a little better.

Used some linksys waps, basically 3 for 6 stillborn and 2 of the 3 remaining dead within 6 months. SMC was incrementally better, and dlink probably the best.

This stuff was basically used in a setting where cable was impossible and was maybe 30 feet line of sight. Also set it up in my playpen with a 15 foot line of sight.

The next time I'll probably go the external through ethernet, since that gives some flexibility in the mixed media envitonment that I live and play in.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

edfair,

Neither the PCMCIA adapter, or PCI adapter is optimal for radio; both are restricted physicly as to how to orient the antenna.

I note this for you (and all) as one home-built way to approach the more flexible AP or AP/router combination:

For laptop and desktop there are choices: see, for example:

I'm aware of the antenna problems and have been looking for alternatives, for which the links are appreciated.

What is/was partiticularly frustrating was watching the signal strength indications jump all over the place. From good connection to connection failure with no reasonable explanation. Like one or the other was having a problem with frequency drift.

And the one location that totally cleared with a dlink ap kind of indicates to me that there are still interchange issues. Same antenna orientation, same power, but no longer dropping connection.

Ed Fair

Ed,

More often than not, I have found the issues you describe as due to a combination of:

. outdated firmware on the AP or AP/router
. outdated firmware on the client adapter
. stupid "default" settings on the client adapter. Your issue sounds exactly like the adapter client sotware enabling "802.1x" authentication by default. Disable this. You do not have a RADIUS server.
. Make sure the SSID, WEP or WPA keys are straight on both AP and client; and different non-competing channels.

I started at least as sceptical as you about wireless. There were just campus settings where it made sense if it could work rather than run wire or fiber. I cannot say it was easy with earlier 802.11b stuff, but darn if it does not in fact work if planned carefully, and using newer devices. It is a fascinating area to play in at the moment; rather than the all "promises" and no effective solution of a short number of years ago.

Bill

I'm not sceptical. I'm a firm believer. But I also build up testbed equipment before I implement, and when the testbed doesn't work at 15 feet, there is no chance of it working in a noisy commercial environment.

Agree on the firmware. Been there, done that. Same with the other items.

Temporarily away from those problems, but intend to revisit them in the future, if not just to put the parts to use in my basement.

Ed Fair

I've had the pleasure with working with two differant types of internal cards for desktops, a PCI pair and single PCI adapter. The pair was the PCI/PCMCIA pair. This was about the worst wireless connection I have ever seen. 20 feet LOS (between machine and AP) and for 3 months before the card died it couldn't get beter than a 2Mbs connection. Replaced it with the single PCI card with the moveable antenna (long enough to make it peek around the back) and got the first 11Mbs connection I have seen on that machine. Wasn't solid, like you would expect at 20 feet, but it was better.
The best Linksys client adapter I have used is the little ethernet bridge. No special software required after initial setup, just plug it in. That one is on a computer that is receciving through two walls and further away then the one above and it has a solid 11Mbs connection.

Thats ok, I get to play with some MP11a's here shortly...forget that range measured in feet thing ;)

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back