Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INTERNAL USER in Oracle 8i

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkey

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
CA
Hi All,
My environment is Oracle 8i on windows NT. My know that when we install oracle server, oracle creates bunch of users. Most importantly sys, system and internal users. Now I need to understand which user is the highest of all of them? If I want to change the internal user password how I should go about doing this? The other most important question is that why I don't see internal user in the DBA studio when I log in but I see all other uses?
What is the significance of internal user compared to let say sys and system?

Thank you in advance!

Hi!
The internal user is nothing but a CONNECT SYS AS SYSDBA.
when u issue a command CONNECT INTERNAL it work as CONNECT SYS AS SYSDBA.
AND ABOUT CHANGING THE P/W OF INTERNAL . DO ONE THING DELETE THE PASSWORD FILE LET SAY PWD<sid>.ora file and recreate it by utility ORAPWD. With this u can change the password of internal.

BYE.
good luck.

Also try to get put of the habit of using internal as the user - oracle have now desupported this &quot;shortcut&quot;. Just use:
sqlplus &quot;/ as sysdba&quot;
instead - note that svrmgrl also desupported.

It is the &quot;sysdba&quot; privilege which gives you highest admin rights eg create database. Use &quot;sysoper&quot; privilege if you which to deny this example, but still be able to open/close the database but not be able to view other schema data.

br
N.

while creating users i used the statement as follows :
&quot;create user <username> identified externally&quot;
the user created successfully but i was not able to connect through that user.
have gone through some theoretical detail as we can use the password of the user with which we have logged on.
(working with Windows NT version 4 service pack 4)
but it didn't worked.
please help.

Rajesh

Thank you so much for all your help. I just need some help in oracle utility orapwd!!!!!!!
Thanks again!

Dear mkey
orapwd is a utility for changing the internal pwd. just type orapwd at dos prompt. u can find it....
bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back