Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal setup error for Installation of Xp home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark411

Technical User
Sep 12, 2000
CA
I've been struggling with this for 2 weeks! I have several questions below.
To make long story short;
I got a replacement Maxtor 40 GB hard drive to be replaced in my Cicerio computer.
I tried many different things but nothing is working out, it should not be this difficult.
I have installed hd's before with no problem, I even installed a borrowed 10GB disk before my replacement arrived. I didn't have to partition or format it.

Tech support from Maxtor says make drive master, use their cable, run their powermax ultility disk. I did all this & drive is working fine.

So far I've used a win98 boot disk to partition using fdisk, and my restore winxp home cd.
Does winxp handle both partitioning & formating? I know in win 95 you create a boot disk, do fdisk, then format, then install windows.

The installation of WinXp home goes great until I reboot and get the message;
Internal setup error, could not find a place for a swap file, setup can not continue.
What does this mean, & what should I do next?

I was also using partitionmagic before installing windows xphome. Did I do something wrong or screw something up?

Any comments are appreciated; in the mean time, I'm still searching MS knowledge base for anwsers.
regards Mark

What you wanna do? do you have data on that disk?
the easier way to install is to boot from the CD and then install it? better if you use a ntfs partition.

hope this helps
lovalles

Hi everyone, for future reference I had to use the powermax software found at Maxtors web site.
After that the drive partitioned & formatted fine. I was then able to install Xp successfully.
Thanks for the tips.
MHU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back