Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internal or external calls drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrael2000

Technical User
Jun 10, 2008
CA
Hi there.

I have received a trouble report from a customer saying that during calls, either to internal or external numbers, the call in progress will drop.

So far, they have only reported this issue on two telephones, but I have inquired as to whether there are more phones having this issue. When they respond, I will know more.

I have gone through the logs, and haven't seen any log messages that might be indicative of the trouble.

The only thing I can think of is sending an outside plant tech to take a look at the wiring for the two reported phones, but just want to make sure that there is nothing else I can look at before heading down the road with the tech option.

Regards

Kinda need a whole lot more info, type of set, type of switch, etc. Obviously if it's more than one set you can possibly rule out the phone, but start simple with the phone and work your way back towards the PBX.

Hi there.

Type of switch is an Option 11.

The two phones that have reported issues are 500 series phones.

They are both on different TN's.
The card type is: NT8D09AK

Regards

Analog phones are pretty basic as far as troubleshooting. Definitely get some history on the problem, could be the set, cable, card. Are they in the same building or on a buried cable? Check and see if they are in the same cabinet. Is there any noise on the phone prior to the dropped call? But definitely get a tech out there to take a look.

almost impossible to be anything other then layer one.. if it was a power supply it would be all analogs.. it could be two bad ports.. but the same problem on two cards. at the same time.. in 30 plus years i have never replaced a card due to dropped calls...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for the reply John.

I've got the tech going out to change the phone (the customer requested it).

When he is out there he may see them doing something, or like you said a physical issue (a mouse chewing through a line cord? <grin>)

Regards

Hi all.

Just an update; I sent out a tech to change the phone / check the wiring, and that did nothing.

HOWEVER, when he was speaking with the customer, we found out that the call DOES NOT DROP; instead, what happens is a person in the conversation will hear a "beep" then no voice for several seconds, and THEN the conversation can continue.

I checked the phone, the user has voicemail, and they had FBD, FNA, MWA. I turned on the FBD (changing it to FBA) and that didn't help either.

Any other ideas? I'd open a ticket with Avaya right about now, but the Bank of Hours we have purchased ran out on time.

Regards

Check for WTA in CLS and change it to WTD, this is for warning tone. Possibly post a print out of the phone if you can.

Hi there.

Thanks for the response.

I tried to turn off the WTA, and got the error...

SCH5053
CPTA must have WTA (Warning Tone Allowed) Class of Service.

Here is a listing of the phone's configuration:

DES user
TN 012 0 00 09
TYPE 500
CDEN 4D
CUST 0
WRLS NO
DN 2910 0 MARP
AST NO
IAPG 0
HUNT 5555
TGAR 1