Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal modem; no dialling-out sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteWeedon

Technical User
Dec 29, 2002
GB
My interest is reviving and putting to use older Macs discarded by other people.

I have a Performa 630 with an internal modem; when I connect to my ISP, I can hear the modem dialling-out.

I also have a Performa 5300 with (presumably) the same type of internal modem. When I connect with that, there are no dialling-out sounds.

Both machines are using the same modem initialisation string. I've tried adding 'M3' to the 5300 init. string but with no effect. They both have the check-box on the modem settings page set to 'loudspeaker on'.

I've also looked at all the sound settings places I can find in the hope of finding a switch but without success.

A friend who has two Performa 5xxx machines with internal modems says that his dial-out in silence too.

My troubleshooting so far has assumed that the 5300 modem is fault-free, hardware-wise. For reasons which I won't go into, it is not convenient to interchange the two modems but I can't think what else to try.

Please can anyone help?

Best regards,

Pete W.

I assume you're running OS 8 or 9.

I remember from my kids iMac (which is now OSX, sorry) that I had to hack the actual script that controlled modem dialing. The script had a bug that prevented the dialing sound from ever coming out, no matter what the setting.

Sorry that I can't remember the exact change - but you seem to know modems, so poke around for a file with a name similar to your modem's name.

Have you checked your Sound Control Panel - - I usually find a setting in there that "turns it on"; but I never had to deal with a 5300 running on a modem.

I _do_ recall that they were _not_ one of the great Mac designs.

Hi, guys,

Thank you both for your replies.

First of all, to ObviousTroll:

Yes, the 5300 is running OS8.1. My ISP is Compuserve and I'm selecting the modem from the list contained in MacCIM 2.4.3. It doesn't seem to make much difference which modem I actually select; none of the ones that work at all give dialling-out sound.

(I should say at this point that I've previously posted this query on the Compuserve Mac hardware forum but didn't get a solution there.)

Next, to JStig:

In OS8.1 it's a combined control panel, 'Monitors & Sound', and I have tried there but it doesn't have any control specific to the modem.

I'm sorry that you heard bad things about the 5300. I was initially attracted to it because the one I have has the TV card installed. However, the off-air TV in this part of the UK is a bit limited and, as a household, we have digital cable. I have recently acquired an 8600/200 and I might switch to that as my 'main Mac'.

Thanks anyway,

Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs - you haven't seen the latest Change Note!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back