Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Mail To External Accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehustler

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2003
US
scenario:
I have exchange 5.5 finally up and running again. The platform is running on Win2000 server. Our e-mail POP3 server is in Germany. Is there a way for our engineers to have their internal mail forwarded to the POP3 server in Germany.
Right now we use the exchange 5.5 here for public folders and as a repository for e-mails as we have a large amounts of e-mails in flux.

If we are talking about a small number of people, you could create "custom recipients" with internet email addresses on the POP server for each one of these engineers, and forward all email to those addresses.

I'm presuming this is a temporary measure as you implied that things are in flux.

You would have to set your exchage server to allow "relay" to the domain of the POP server.

Dana

actually the flux is that their are so many e-mails that have to be recieved on a day-to-day basis. I would say that this is to be a permanent feature that I want to be implemented. Does this mean i would have to implement the changes to the POP3 server in Germany?

Hmm, I guess I need more info. to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Do all users have accounts on the pop server or the Exchange server?
Where do you want all users to have accounts?
Are users using Outlook to view POP mail and ONLY public folder info from exchange?

Do you want all users to use exchange for email and public folders? (instead of pop server) If so, all you need to do is make sure you have proper "internet" email addresses set up for your users and then set your POP server to relay all email to the exchange server.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back