Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal IP addresses NOT visible on Win2000 Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

msturgeon

Instructor
Feb 13, 2001
US

It doesn't seem to matter how many books I read, there are still questions to be answered.

Here is one of the major issues that is about to tell me Server 2000 is too much. On our campus, I am the systems admin. for the University library..only. That is to keep approx 80 machines running and four servers. Two of which are UNIX and one Novell and my new Windws 2000 server that is about to drive me nuts. After all was said and done, I discovered I could not see the 'internal campus websites' which are of extreme importance for our students to access.

So, out of panic I call the main IT department and get my head chewed out for making my server a DNS server. He says, you have to make your server look at my list directory in order for your machines to see where these sites are. He has the host(s) that will redirect.
Otherwise the system thinks that my computer is an outsider and tries to use an outside IP address from inside. This ultimately gives me a blank page with errors...informing me that the site cannot be found.

Our campus is mainly a Novell campus, but I want to move ahead, so I am moving with this system. Novell will not be around forever....Microsoft will come close to 'forever' in my opinion.

My next move was to call an IT Manager at another college that is not too far away. He came and said.... go to DNS > and add to the forward lookup. I added all of the machine names and IP addresses (internal) and all seemed dandy.....but it wasn't.

Today I worked on the computers that now login to the Server....and they cannot seee the internal sites. I type in the internal IP address for the University homepage (172.16.1.1) and it trys to resolve it to 208.46.20.1, which is the external IP. Can or will anyone PLEASE at least try to help me out. I don't want to give up
on Server 2000.

Thank You,

Michael Sturgeon

Hi Michael.

Here are a few hints that may help.
Ensure that you have TCP/IP filtering turned on on the TCP/IP properties.

The DNS Server address that you are using must be the one supplied by your main IT department who are hosting the sites. This is always going to be external to your Subnet/Network.

Under WINS properties, you may want to check again to see what you have set up. Try turning on LMHOST Lookup so that Your clients can resolve NEtbios names to IP addresses for the computers that host the sites.

I just joined to forum today but I hope this helps.

Anthony
Handle: Coluden Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by failing to attempt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back