Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Email – Send to ISP mail server, not to Exchange mailbox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeno

Technical User
Oct 9, 2003
US
I’m going to migrate the users in our organization from externally hosted POP3 accounts to an internal Exchange server. I’ve been testing Exchange using my account for a couple days now and everything seems fine except for email delivery to addresses within our domain. It makes sense, though, since the user mailboxes have not been configured on Exchange.

What I would like to do, during the transition period, is have Exchange send all internal email through our ISP. We have a pop3 connector that will then grab the messages and that will deliver them to the appropriate mailbox.

This should be easy to configure, I just haven’t figured it out yet.

Thanks!

SMTP Virtual Server>Properties>Messages - at the bottom, enter the host that handles your POP3 here. Anything that's not resolved locally will get shipped out to this host. But remember, once you configure an AD account with an SMTP address, it gets resolved locally every time.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks- that did it. I knew that option had to be in there somewhere... Seems like a weird place for it to be.

This does exactly what we want it to do. Once a user's Exchange mailbox is configured within AD, the mail will be delivered to their Exchange mailbox, but until then, at least people with Exchange will be able to send mail within the organization to people without an Exchange mailbox. This is obviously a temporary solution that we're using until we have everyone configured in Exchange.

I should point out that you enter the address of a SMTP server in the dialog box and not a POP3...

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back