Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internal DNS & host file - SSL testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

notShai

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2006
US
hi

we have a web application hosted on an internal webserver.
it is available to both the inside and outside.

to use it inside we need to use a host fie entry such as :

10.1.10.100 app.domainname.com

we want to get rid of the host file entry requirement.

i added app.domainname.com as a Host(A) in the domain server- fw lookup zone - Domain, no luck, then added under the Domain- fw lookup zone - _sites, no luck, then i added it under the domain server - reverse lookup zones-under the subnet eerything else is under, no luck.

what am i doing wrong?
i never had a fully qualified domain name (sub.abc.com) on my internal network without a hoist file before, but i do have other web sites internally which dont use a .com and do work just fune without a host file.

we need the host file removed so we can test SSL's on our development app before rolling into production, but since i cant add https to the host files...

If you add an A record in your Public DNS, then you could access it from both the inside and the outside without the use of a host file.

For our web application, I also added a CNAME in the internal DNS to make it easier for users inside to access the application.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back