Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Corporate Messengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FROGGYJ

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
CA
We all know how dangerous MSN Messenger, Yahoo, AIM, etc...can be to our networks...although messaging services can be very convenient. Anyone have some suggestions for an internal corporate messaging system which is encrypted of course and enables logging?? I'm sure there are lots of products out there, just trying to get a feel from some people who actually use them.

FROGGYJ
A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

Check out IBM's Sametime program it is internal as for logging I am not sure, but I think it does. The last place I worked used it and I liked it.

Same problem here. Cause we're MS partners we get certian technologies for free, including Live Communications Server which I'm planning on trialing Feb next year. If your a MS shop (Exchange, WinXP/Win2k3, SharePoint and Office) it's a no brainer - integration is superb.

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

We Just started looking for the same animal, and found that Wildfire was the best out there. There is an open source version that is available for free, and an enterprise version that is VERY reasonably priced ($500 +$12/user) that adds quite a few features. They also license it per concurrent user, not per account so the licensing can be a bit more forgiving for some organizations.

our deployment costs dropped from $13,000 (Microsoft's private IM) to $5,000. They are also working on a gateway piece that will allow your users to connect through to the public IM servers and still log the traffic. Its presently in beta, but appears to work pretty well from my limited tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back