Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal and external server names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valier

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
SE
Referring to archived thread: thread10-728304
I have this problem too with my w2k, 5.5 server.

Some domains don´t accept mail from us.

They say:
MSEXCH:IMS:Mifab:Mifab:EXCHANGE 3554 (000B09B6) 554 <kb@glocalnet.net>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied

We have no open relay, but I think that they see our internal server name and not the public one.
Or maybe they see both? And then interpret this as a relay.
Anyways, I have to make sure that only the public server shows up. I can ping both the internal and public server name. That is bad, huh?

The internal name is exchange.domain.se and the external is mail.company.se

Where do I start?
My tehnician has left the building for good, and I have to fix this. Something tells med MX is involved.

Mike, Sweden

Can it be possible that the recipient's box is full and it is now rejecting any email. Test this out by using a public free email account.

To test your theory out: "I think that they see our internal server name and not the public one. Or maybe they see both? And then interpret this as a relay." it is simple to telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25 and manually run thru the command procedure.

Hi
No it is not related to full mailboxes.
I quote the archived thread mentioned:

"When sending an email via Smtp we want to be able to define the dns name of the sending server i.e different from the actual dns name of the machine on the internal network. e.g actual name is server.office.xyz.com and we need to change to mail.xyz.com.To match the MX record on the Internet because outgoing mails are being detected as spam by some servers."

This is what happens to us too.

[The scope of this answer assumes you are NOT using a smarthost to send all external email from your IMS]

Your externally-available DNS needs a PTR record for the public IP address of your IMS server, so this IP address can be resolved to mail.xyz.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back