Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal and External domain name same

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlegates

Technical User
May 24, 2007
US
We currently took over a company and the previous "IT Genius" created the internal domain name the same as the external website name. Now every time they log into it internally it cannot be displayed.

I have added the A host record pointed it to the IP address of the website provider, but still no luck. It will display the page, but no pictures, flash, nothing. Just text.

The other thing is they have their domain name hosted with Network Solutions and have to the company that hosts their website. When you type in the and the website is displayed. I've never seen that before. I really don't

I'm out of ideas and need the professional help of Tek-Tip experts.

D Dizzle
PCWIZ
Why read when you can google search?

Having the internal name the same as the public name is perfectly fine, and used extensively. As for your images and other media on the website, you'd have to look at the path it's pointing to for more info on the root cause of it not being visible. I suspect it's pointing to a name not resolveable internally.

The fact that www. disappears is common as well. That's just how the webserver is configured.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back