Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal 3Com V.90 Everything install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorlihp

Technical User
Sep 20, 2000
US
I've tried everything I can think of to get a V.90 Everything modem to install with no success!The replaced modem was removed before attempting to install the 3Com. Plug and play won't recognize it and when installed manually I get 'no dialtone' error messages. When 3Com wintest is ran and the modem IRQ and Com ports set accordingly, and the modem test ran again, the test can't detect it?! There are no conflicts detectable and the modem checks out in windows as being OK??
Any suggestions would be appreciated!..........thanks! :)

i too experience a similar issue.... i have several Dell Latitude machines that were previously running NT 4.0 before getting wiped and having Win2K installed. During the rebuild, autoloader saw and installed drivers for the 3Com 3CXM356 PC card modem that is present. In the system overview the modem appears to be fine, diagnostics say nothing is wrong. But when i try to use it, i get a NO DIAL TONE error (i think its 680, not sure though) and the modem doesn't work.

I have upgraded the system to SP1, i have made sure the line being used has dial tone, i have removed the device, drivers, and reg keys, rebooted and MANUALLY reinstalled the only known drivers available (which 3Com specifies as NT4 only, but Win2K recognizes them and the device). To no avail, the modem still doesn't work.

Help!! i don't want to have to go but 20 new modem cards because 3Com can't provide a driver for the latest OS.....

any suggestions?

thanks
peter chow. :)

If you will download the latest BIOS version from Dell your problem with the 3COM modem should be resolved--this worked for me. Good Luck!

Placidvermin.....That may work for the Dell but what if it's not a dell? Would the latest bios for the MB I'm using be in order then? The 3comm I have has to be quite a bit older than my mother board. It's hard to understand why cos. such as 3comm and Asus over looks trivial matters like this?!

Placidvermin..... What version of the DELL Latitude Flash BIOS did you upgrade to - I upgraded to the latest at this time (versio A11) and still have the same problem.

Cheers
Mark Ward

I have a Dell also, and every time I try to Setup the Internet (I got the computer for Christmas), It says that it can't connect. It doesnt say that there is no dial tone detected. I wondered if maybe I should just get a new modem, but they're so expensive. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back