Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations gmmastros on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent USB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FraidyMan

Technical User
Jun 13, 2011
CA
My USB mouse connects to the rear USB ports on my Lenovo S20 workstation, and sporadically, it fails to respond for a few seconds, then it will re-connect by itself. I added a wireless mouse, connected to the front panel USB ports, and when the wired one fails, the wireless one will work, then it will fail and the wired mouse will work. Changing ports makes no difference.

It sounds like a driver problem to me. I have used Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit's device manager to remove and reinstall everything in sight, to no avail. A knowledgeable friend suggested using keyboard shortcuts to remove all USB services, then deleting the Windows controller software, followed by a re-boot which would install fresh USB controller services software.

I would like to do it, but I have forgotten how, and I dont remember the keystrokes for moving the cursor with no mouse. Can you point me to a reference?

Could it be that having two mice connected at once may be fighting with each other?...especially if there is a fault with the wire (bad cord, bad connector, etc)?

What happens if you disconnect the wired mouse?

I can't resist...

hqdefault_zn0jxh.jpg

I'd start with updating chipset drivers for your laptop model which should resolve any driver issues, possibly update BIOS as well. Also check to see if you are using USB3.0 on the rear ports, however two mice are allowed within Windows, however only 1 pointer can be controlled.

Chris AKA TacoHunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back