Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent silence 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwadswor

Technical User
Oct 12, 2001
US
I have a strange problem with a Norstar M7208 phone here, hopefully someone can help me!!

Occasionally, my phone will operate such that I can't hear callers, and they can't hear me. Also I can't hear a dialtone. However, I do get "battery" meaning I can hear myself through the speaker when I talk ... This isn't phone specific, because I have re-cross-connected the problematic port to another phone, and the problem stayed with the port, and went to the other phone.

It seems like if I unplug the phone when the problem occurs, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in, everything seems to be okay, but I would like to fix this permanently.

Do you think it's just a bad port and needs physically replaced, or is there something else I can do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You might try reseating the amp cable that the questionable port is on. Also any bridge clips or anything else that port uses to get to the set.
If your system is new enough, there is a FEATURE 805 that you can run from the phone that might help. Especially the power test.

MarvO said it

You could try testing the cable/phone under Maintenance->Tests->Bert-DN: then enter the dn to be tested, disable it and it is a pass/fail test. I have used this to ID flaky (technical term) cables on a set that was noisy and dropping.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Marv -
Thanks for the tip about the Feat 805.

When I do that test, they all seem to work except the handset test - I don't get any tone through the handset.

HOWEVER, when I switch handsets, the problem is still there. I know that it isn't the phone either, because as I stated above, I switched phones, and it follows the port, not the phone.

Any ideas on how to fix it now??

Thanks for all your help everyone!!!

Jon

I'm beginning to think that you do have a bad port from everything you are telling me.
One last thing that I can think of is to put a different model of phone on that port for a few minutes, then back to your 7208. This will force the TEMPLATE for the port to reload, and may shake it loose for you.
What type of Norstar system is it on?

MarvO said it

Sheesh, a year and a half later...

This problem has been dormant for a year and a half, and just came back this week.

We just added several new users to our Norstar MICS 4.1 system, and ports that had seemed to be working fine are now acting up. When the handset is picked up, there is no dialtone, but you can hear the keys 'beep' when you press the buttons.

I have tried switching the phone out with an analog adaptor/analog phone, and that seems to work fine, and even when I switch it back to the 7208 it does work for a few minutes at least, but then usually goes back dead shortly.

I actually have this problem on 2 ports that had previously been fine.

Do you think that this is a hardware thing, and that I'm just going to have to 'suck it up' and mark the ports as bad and count myself 3 ports less than my original capacity, or is there some possible solution that anyone can come up with for this?

The suggestions a year ago by JerryReeve and Marv0 were very helpful in diagnosing, but this one seems to be rearing its nasty head again...

Thanks for your help...

Jon

Sheesh, a year and a half later...

This problem has been dormant for a year and a half, and just came back this week.

We just added several new users to our Norstar MICS 4.1 system, and ports that had seemed to be working fine are now acting up. When the handset is picked up, there is no dialtone, but you can hear the keys 'beep' when you press the buttons.

I have tried switching the phone out with an analog adaptor/analog phone, and that seems to work fine, and even when I switch it back to the 7208 it does work for a few minutes at least, but then usually goes back dead shortly.

I actually have this problem on 2 ports that had previously been fine.

Do you think that this is a hardware thing, and that I'm just going to have to 'suck it up' and mark the ports as bad and count myself 3 ports less than my original capacity, or is there some possible solution that anyone can come up with for this?

The suggestions a year ago by JerryReeve and Marv0 were very helpful in diagnosing, but this one seems to be rearing its nasty head again...

Thanks for your help...

Jon

Marv -
Thanks for your reply.

I have re-terminated this in the closet, but I'm getting the same results. I have used different wiring to another jack with the same results, so that eliminates the station cable.

As far as the amphenol, I can't take everyone else down to re-seat that at the module, so I can't be 100% sure on that.

The thing that confuses me is that an analog adaptor and phone works fine on the line, it's just the digital phones that have problems.

Are there any other ways to 'reset' a specific port, to try to clear this problem?

Thanks,

Jon

Are you testing at your desk with the port connected to a station cable or in the equipment room at the control unit? I would check the port right out of the control unit with the station cable out of the picture to ensure that the cable isn't causing the problem. At that point you'll know if it's a port issue or if the station cable is corrupt.

As Telemarv stated, I would push in the amphenols at the KSU this shouldn't disconnect other employees..depending if its velcro held..it might have come loose..this might be the issue..also if you haven't done so Tarbra is right punch down a set directly to the port in the phoneroom and test from their.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back