Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent "Page not Available" errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBentl

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
CA
Running Win 98 on a Pentium 2, Cable internet. Almost every web page request returns "Page not Available"...but repeated tries will eventually get the page. MSN Messenger will no longer connect to Internet on this machine. I have verified all settings for Internet Explorer and Network settings...all are OK. The browser appears to only try for a fraction of a second before returning the error.

This does act like there is no connection, however the odd page DOES load (not from the cache, I emptied it first)!

Do you think this is a NIC or modem problem (neither have been changed)? My next step is to change the NIC.

Have you tried pinging sites? How about trying pathping to the sites that fail? When you can't access the sites, try this. First ping 127.0.0.1. If you get a response, try ipconfig /all and note your ip address. Then ping it. (If ipconfig worked, you should get a response.) If the response from ipconfig is 169.254.x.x, think about changing your nic. Good luck.b

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back