Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent NetWare Login Over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagreen

Technical User
Jun 2, 2003
US
My office has a hybrid Novell 5.1/NT network. We VPN in using a Linksys BEFVP41, using SSH Sentinel (v. 1.3) clients. Once the connection is made, about half the time, we can use the Novell login without a problem (we modified the "Hosts" file to point the name of the main NetWare file server to the proper IP address). The other half of the time, we get a message that the tree cannot be found.

At all times, we can authenticate to the NT domain. Also, if we use the web browser, we can access the files on the Netware file server using the web server (and authenticate to the server at the same time). We can even FTP to the Netware server. I can even use the RConsole function over the VPN. We just cannot login, nor can we map a drive--half the time. What is going on here, and why would there be such a screwy intermittent problem?

We are having a similar problem with the Checkpoint client / firewall. I believe it is an SLP issue. The work around I have found is to enter the IP address instead of the name in the server field of the Novell client. That gets me logged in everytime. The host entries didn't make a difference.

Hi,
I'm also having the same problem but even thought I enter the IP address instead of the name in the server field of the Novell client, it doesn't help, login is still slow. Do anyone know what is happening.

The problem seems to be oddly intermittent, and almost never happens on one of my remote computers. Clearly, there must be some subtle problem with the configuration of the remote computer.

I have tried using the IP number, but when the name doesn't work, the IP address normally doesn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back