Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent music through speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

thud105g

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
I am not sure where to post this, I have a PC running windows 7 with a i3 processor and periodically you can hear radio stations (multiple at the same time) through the speakers. It started about a month ago, I ran Norton to see if this is some type of virus, with no luck. Nothing in the geographical area has changed.

Something in the wiring in your home or office, or even your desktop area, has changed. Unplug and reseat the power and audio connections to your speakers. A dirty connection somewhere is acting as an untuned detector (thing old-time crystal set radio). Try using headphones instead of speakers, see if the problem exists in the headphones. If it doesn't, and cleaning up the connections to the speakers doesn't work, consider a new set of speakers...

Fred Wagner

Yep, sounds like some wires are acting as a large antenna. Bad ground, or shielding possibly.

Get that all the time. Creepy until you figure out what it is. Your speakers are picking up a stronger signal. Not much to do but turn off the speakers.

If the problem goes away using headphones, it's in your speakers. Does your power strip or UPS have RF Filtering ? Are the speakers powered ? if so, is their power cube/cord connected through the filtered power strip?

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back