Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent Loud Static on T1 Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlueBeagle

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2002
US
I recently switched our 4 T1 ccts from standard copper facilities to a SONET (fiber) facility. I now have users complaining that they hear loud bursts of static at least twice a day on random calls. I originally was using UTP for my cross connect between DS1/CSU and smart jack but converted to STP thinking this was the problem. No luck. I have programmed TRK-ID buttons on several phones with the hopes of narrowing down the problem to a single trunk member but it happens on all trunks.

Had this same thing happen to me. In my case I had a DC cigarette pack that had a lose connections. Once I reset the connections the problem subsided. I would verify and check all your physical connections.

Are they ISDN-PRI?

Sounds like a bad channel or channels on the T1(s). If they are ISDN-PRI I would expect all B-channels to have the problem and depending on how you have things set-up, you might experience a lot of problems

If you have CMS, run Trunk Group Daily reports for each trunk group (obviously). If you have a bad channel, the number of calls on the bad one(s) may be a lot higher than the other channels or the average hold time will be a lot lower. It should be fairly clear once you see it.

Or try a list measurments ds1 log [DS1 card location] on the PBX. All of the columns should be 0's (except the date and time of course). If they are not, you may have a problem with that circuit.

Hope that helps.

Great advice ctr999! I actually found the offending member yesterday as most of the call center agents were able to ID the same trunk over and over with their TRK-ID buttons. I do have ISDN-PRI which made it difficult to isolate the member as I still do not know of a method to direct access ISDN trunks on Avaya switches. However, I ran the trunk group report this morning as you counseled and sure enough the statistical difference was obvious for that port. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back