Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent loss of network drive(s) / unable to logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolveit

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2002
AU
After trying everything, we are no further. We have a 2000 SBS that has been working fine for 2 years until the last couple of months.

We have two problems.

Problem 1 - When a user goes to logon, it comes up with a message that the password is wrong or domain unavailable, try this 3 or 4 times and it finally goes in and runs the script as per normal. This happens to 3-4 users each day in a 20 user network.

Problem 2 - Once in, a user (not necessarily the above user) will be working on all network drives fine and then suddenly loses access to that drive. Clicks on another network drive and sometimes that will work, other times that will be down also. I would have thought that if one drive is down, they will all be down.

Nothing appears in Event viewer, we have changed the network cards in the client, updated service packs, security updates, changed the network switch etc.

HELP!!!

I had a similar problem what we finally did was change out our hubs for a switch. I don't know how many clients you have connected. We only had 2 hubs with 35 computers. We purchased a 48port switch and all of the network problems disappeared. Why we concluded it was in the hubs we have a new software applications that needed to be connected 24-7 different computers kept loosing there connection to the server at different times. No reason no errors in any logs. Trying all types of software checks and even a new nick in the server the problem still was there. After changing the switch all is well.

Leon

-yeah get a switch because its more stable then a hub; also make sure everything is working fine (hardware)

Thanks guys but that was one of the first things we tried. We have changed the switch and also changed the NIC in the server. Any other ideas?

1) Check your event logs.
2) What does the process monitor show? Good packets vs. bad packets. My first thought was the nic also. We bought an expensive server, and after awhile, users had the same problem. Luckily, we had two servers. Notices that users could log on when I was re-booting the new server. Used the monitor to find that it was sending out more and more bad packets.
3) Check the cabling. Might be something coming loose.

Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Action is the proper fruit of knowledge."
Thomas Fuller (1610-1661); English scholar, preacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back