Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent fax/modem tone on incoming calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcisar

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
CA
Have a client with an 8x24 w/NAM voicemail. They are reporting that intermittently when customers call in to the system they report getting a "fax machine" instead of the phones ringing through (phones ring 3 times in office before falling through to auto-attendant normally). Apparently staff occasionally have been getting this as well when calling in from outside the office.

Their fax machine doesn't even go through the phone system... and the telco says there are no conditional forwards in place on the trunks that would cause the voice calls to leave the rotary under any condition.

I've never been able to reproduce it myself to determine whether its a fax or modem tone... but they claim to have it reported by customers sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.

I'm at a complete loss... any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,
>>>>> Mike <<<<<

If it is not a RAD as curlycord suggested you may want to check with your alarm company as I have had several instances over the years where there boxes for one reason or another begin answering incoming calls.

Rick

Yes! on Alarm boxes they call in then call in again realy quick to activate the modem.
Best to have Alarms on fax machine line or your lower lines that are used mostly for outbound.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

If it were a fax, it would likely be noticed once and a while on outbound calls, too. My vote is with Rick. It's probably your alarm system.

Will check with customer on both of those options and see what we find.

Cheers!

>>>>> Mike <<<<<

Alarms are easy to find, normally if you go to the RJ21X yoiu will see that the Bridge Clips are missing and ther is a WH/BL on the Telco side and a WH/OR on the Sub side

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Easy to find but never that neat and tidy here PerryPJ, we're in Canada so most every cursed thing is BIX so it's usually a wire cut about an inch from the BIX strip and 4 crimps sticking out where they can get knocked around by anyone who happens to walk by. Though I did see one about 6 months ago where they stripped about 3 inches from the end of the wire and wrapped it around (and around and around) the post of the 66 block... surprising the UL inspector didn't have a problem with that <GRIN>

Cheers,
>>>>> Mike <<<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back