Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent dial tone failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxy01

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
Hi,

I have a lap top with a modem used for dial up internet access,

most of the time it will pick up the dial tone no problem, but sometimes it wont, I know that the line is o.k because the phone is fine with picking up the line?

any ideas?

Muchos grasias amigos!!

a couple thoughts,
one the Line Cord, a flakey line Cord . . if this is the case just swap it out
two is the line on any Splitters/Couplers, remove them if possible
Three, jiggling the line Cord while on line, does it induce the problem,

Interment problems are generally the Hardest to troubleshoot as the problem is not consistant, my only other suggestion is to make a note as the the times & places of the problems to see what the common thread is

As the man says - new phone cable is the first and easiest suggestion.

If all looks OK, try getting the line checked - in the UK, BT can change the line gain to sometimes help with modem problems.

Worst case is that a pin inside the modem socket on your laptop is loose.......in which case just get an external USB or PCMCIA one (ebay has loads of cheap ones!)

cheers
Rob

Is it possible that someone else is on the phone at another extension or if you have voice mail and you haven't cleard the inbox, the message present tone can mess the modem up. Plug a telephone into the same jack you're using for the modem to see if the jack is intermittent or noisy.
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back