Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent connections to terminal server

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersb

MIS
Nov 23, 2004
MY
I have a 2003 terminal server that does not accept every connection attempt. it takes anywhere between 1 and 10 attempts to connect in order to establish a session. The error received is :
The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer
The most likely causes for this error are:
1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer
2)The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer
3)A network error occurred while establishing the connection.

I have checked network connectivity and i can ping for over 200 packets with 0 lost.
This has just started all of a sudden today. We use this server to provide many applications.
No changes have been made to the environment on the last month.
The network is not complex and soes not involve ann rtrs in order for me to connect to it. I am on the same subnet.
It does not have SP1 installed yet. I have noticed many fixes for other issues relating to TS however am reluctant to install it as a hope to fix! Prefer real answer as it worked fine without it for so long!!

When i use ethereal i can see the TS reset the connection.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you have the licence server installed and is it possible that the TS has exceeded the amount of allowed connections. If there are any disconnected sessions they will be using up a connction.

Hi,

One of the main differences with TS in SBS2003 is that you have to log off from the session and not just disconnect. If you disconnect the session remains open. to check the number of open sessions go into TS manager and look see. You can set the GPO to automatically log off a sesion once it is disconnected if this is the issue.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back