Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittant ODBC Connection error

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIANVH

MIS
Oct 7, 2002
US
I have an Excel 2000 spreadsheet that gets external data from an MS Access 2000 query. The MS Access query gets some data from Access tables and some data from an ODBC data source with tables linked to Access. This all works fine some of the time. However, some of the time we get the following error, "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]ODBC_Connection to 'brian' failed. 'brian' in this case is the name of the system DSN set up for the ODBC sqlbase driver setup. We do not have any problems getting ODBC data through MS Access alone, which we use alot. However, within Excel spreadsheets, as outlined above, we get intermittant errors. We don't have alot of experience pulling external data into Excel. If I add a new database query within Excel after getting the error, it will usually work. No factor has been noticed that may cause it to work or not work, it just seems random. Any suggestions on things to try are appreciated.

I'd try to increase the ODBCTimeOut value.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back