Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermitent client drop outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octavius

MIS
May 20, 2002
GB
We are having a very strange problem indeed at the momment where workstations are losing connectivity to one drive mapping.

Before I continue here are my server details:

NW5.1 SP5
CLUSTER SERVICES 1.01 SP2 (3 NODES)
3 X NSS CLUSTERED VOLUMES (inc CVSBIND config)
SLP configured Scope

The workstations are:

Windows 2000 SP4
Novell CLient 4.83 SP2 (with Patches E)
Lotus Notes 4.6

The users can login fine. They can access network resources fine, printing and read their emails. Everyone is happy. That is untill they start to use attachements in Notes. They are then greeted with the error 'network path is invalid'. They are then unable to connect to thier home directory mapping (P:\). All other netware drives are unaffected and these drives are on the same volume as the users home drive. I am then unable to map a drive to the users home directory. If the user then logs out and back in again all is fine again, untill it starts again. The users Notes\data directory sits in their home directory on the Novell servers.

If we regress the client to 4.83 with the PT2 patch applied all works well. The PT2 patch replaces the NWFS.SYS file on the client, but even using later versions of this we still see the same problem.

Been at this one for several days and would appreciate any advice. I am suspicous of Notes.

Thanks

Leigh Wood, CNE

it is to do with notes

i've read these symptoms somewhere before but cant remember where

The only problem I have had similar is when File Caching is switched on (here he goes again!!!).

At the console, type SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED to see if it is on or not. Try switching it off if it is on.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Yeah, a bit of CTRL-C and CTRL-V does the trick. But in all seriousness, switching File Caching off does the trick in some instances.

"It's true, its damn true!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back