Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interlink with serial cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry37

Programmer
Jul 17, 2001
US
I am trying to run the dos program interlink with serial cables. I used the command

c:\>echo at > com1

to test the ports and they seem to work but the computers are not talking to each other. Someone told me that I need to get a network card but there is nothing in the dos book about that. What am I doing wrong?

Well, you don't need network cards. Using a serial cable, the computer just treats the com port as a modem... simple as that (easy to say huh)
I don't seem to remember ever manually configuring such a set up in dos, but windows 95/98 etc etc has an option just for that.

using network cards would connect your computers but aint gonna help your serial connection

Needs to be a null modem cable. 2&3 swapped between machines, so send data gets to rcv data both ways. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

what in windows allows you to use a serial cable for a remote connection to another computer?

TIA

- Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back