Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interfaces not available until reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinkytoy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2007
GB
Anyone experienced any issue where newly defined interfaces do not become available until the sonicwall is rebooted?

I keep finding this and it is a huge pain as even with a HA pair I can't justify a reboot until out of hours where as there have been several occasions when I've needed to setup networks during the day. It's incrediably annoying, anyone know any way around it?

Are you using the most up to date firmware?

Also have you tried actually power cycling it?

What model Sonicwall?

4100 pro, firmware is a version behind atm but dont think this is fixed in the latest anyway.

My point that is that is does work after a power cycle but not before.

That is definitley odd. I have come across weird issues with some Sonicwalls that just didn't make sense. They are great boxes and I rarely have issues with them, but sometimes you just need to default the things and start from scratch.

I would at least try updating the firmware though. Sounds like a firmware/software issue.

You could try exporting the config, then resest the box to factory defaults and reimport the config.

If that doesn't work you may just need to reconfigure it. Download a tech report though so if you need reference an IP address etc.

I'll test it again when I next do a firmware update, but as you say sometimes they do weird things but this bug has annoyed me on multiple occasions on multiple models and firmware versions.

One of the strangest thing I saw was quite recently where we couldn't establish a a socket connection to a remote server over a VPN, it would ping ok and the port was open but no joy. After banging our heads against a wall, my colleague changed the rule priority by 1 and it worked, all it jumped ahead of was another allow rule to a different VPN, it should have made no difference.

I do love sonicwall devices, but sometimes they treat you badly :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back