Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting (to me) but simple PPTP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chansen

Programmer
May 29, 2001
CA
OK, simple VPN setup. PPTP with Win2k Server as host and Win2k Pro client. Both have Netgear RP114 routers, the server on cable, the client on DSL.

At the server, I've forwarded port 1723 from the router.

I'm running ZoneAlarm at the client only.

Virtual Private Connection connects, but I can't see the server in network neighbourhood.

The server can see the client, but cannot browse.

The domain I used for the server is the same as my internet domain (say chansen.ca), but I don't host the website, someone else does. Perhaps that was a mistake.

Here's the interesting part: ZA on the client is giving me intermittent alerts, saying that it has "blocked internet access to cache.chansen.ca (12.37.166.xxx) (TCP Port 445) from you computer [TCP Flags: S]".

I think this has something to do with my VPN attempts, but has been going on long after I disconnected.

Can anyone tell me what is happening, and how I can fix it?

Regards,
Craig

heh if your trying to run a PDC using a a domain you dont host over the vpn, you need local DNS to override the external stuff thats exactly how i do it with my dns2go host, my edge router deligates controll of "*.my-dns2go-domain.net" for the local network and some work with the hosts file for the linux machine to make it all look legit,you will no longer beable to know the ip of your domain with out using a external lookup methode..

assuming your pptp stuff is happy its probably something along thoses lines.

hope this helps :) ....probably not

port 445 is needed for netbios traffic on Win2K.
Try turning off your ZA and see what happens...
if that works, try refining ZA until it works

also : are you running WINS ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post was helpfull, please click below to let me know !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back