Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbytupper

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
GB
Recently (Saturday Morning 12th October) me and the team came in for routine maintenance on the Exchange server. (checking the spam filter software)

After our bacon banjoes we decided to restart the exchange server to inplement settings we had added.

The server came back up just fine and Dandy (we thought) until about 30 minutes later when in the event log, up popped a group of messages. Event id 7031 they said, IIS services stalled, exchange services stalled. Then the same group of RED error messages "POPPED" into the event log oooo about every 30 bleeding seconds!!

After about an hour of discussing how it couldnt be that bad and a restart should sort it we began to accept the reallity of what was actually happening... the bleeding server was going tits up.

Now after over 40 hours of work, endless service packs and security "fixes" and many many rebuilds we once again have something that resembles an email server.

And why did all this happen??? I would LOVE to know. Some say nimda, if it was none of the removal tools worked. I have read more white papers than I ever imagined possible but still to no avail, so if anyone would like to releive me from this state of tired confusion and has experienced this before, feel free to let me know.

Googdnight,

James

Hey James, can you give more detail on the event log msgs? Like error IDs etc.

Yup, I want to know what error logs said too. And also waht a bacon banjo is. Sounds better than a hurtsdonit.

These are the error messages as in the event log. Sorry about the formatting but if you look hard enough you will find :)

A bacon banjoe is a toasted french bagguette with extra well grilled bacon with a blob of mayo and a dash of tommy K!!

(A bacon sandwich)

Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A WYG2 The World Wide Web Publishing Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 8 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A WYG2 The Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 8 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A WYG2 The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 8 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A WYG2 The Microsoft Exchange POP3 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 8 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A WYG2 The Network News Transport Protocol (NNTP) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 8 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A WYG2 The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 8 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A WYG2 The IIS Admin Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 8 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1 milliseconds: Run the configured recovery program.
Schannel Error None 36871 N/A WYG2 A fatal error occurred while creating an SSL server credential.
Schannel Error None 36871 N/A WYG2 A fatal error occurred while creating an SSL server credential.
IISCTLS Information None 1 N/A WYG2 IIS start command received from user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. The logged data is the status code.

NNTPSVC Information None 85 N/A WYG2 The Microsoft NNTP Service 5.00.0984 Version: 5.0.2195.5329 has been started.
NNTPSVC Warning None 101 N/A WYG2 The server was unable to add the virtual root '/' for the directory '/Internet Newsgroups' due to the following error: The parameter is incorrect. The data is the error code.

DId you ever find out the cause of these messages and the ensuing debacle? I received these exact error messages on April 9th every 30 seconds for 4 1/2 minutes on both my Exchange servers. They stopped after that and haven't returned. I'm afraid to conduct my routine server reboots tomorrow after reading your thread.

I don't have an exact answer but all of the symptoms point towards the code red virus. Are you running outlook web access on you mail server?

I got the same error messages on my server, however, I only got them 3 different times over about a 1 week period. I had to reboot the server after each time the services crashed. Restarting the services did not work. I finally installed SP3 and the Post SP3 patch, and no more problem. But as James mentioned, as I was researching the cause of my problem, I found that if you have it reoccurring frequently like you do, it is probably code red. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back