Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interesting question regarding Color DS Digital sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safenestvmem

Technical User
Nov 16, 2019
US
I've often wondered why Avaya never offered a color display handset for their digital 95xx series handsets.

The older 54xx and 24xx never lit up but the 95xx do light up but they're monochrome.

Anyone have any thoughts on this since it would be a lot easier to upgrade a DS environment with color handsets then having to put in the 96xx series that also requires POE just to add color to the display.

I would think there would be enough power to illuminate a color display.

Any thoughts about this?

I think DS and IP phones are aimed at different markets.

Why wasn't there a 9516?

Not sure i've ever seen a digital phone with colour display and i've worked on most of the big manufactures.

Calum M
ACSS

Would there be enough power from the DS port to supply a color display?

I see that on the resale market DS 9508 handsets are more expensive than the 9608s by a lot.

Two reasons:
- lack of a color display in that size would increase the cost since a custom-built one would be required
- digital sets are dumb with limited processing power and operate purely in a stimulus mode (they only do what they are told). Adding color would either require IPO software changes to tell the phone what color to use or adding processing power to the phone to let it decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back