Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting fact about Illustrator 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohjekim

Technical User
Apr 8, 2001
US
When I upgraded to Illustrator 8 it was from Illustrator 4.
It would not recognize my serial number.

I have had to call Adobe every time that I needed to reinstall it since.

Then I discovered this fact.

Illustrator 8 dose not need to be installed!

That's right, by chance in frustration with having to call Adobe; I just copied my Illustrator folder to a CD and then copied it to my new computer (I thought I might be able to run the install over it without having to get a new code.)

Well once it was there I decided to click on Illustrator.exe and see what error message I got.

Surprise it started up and ran fine.

That was years back on my Windows 98 computer, since then I have moved it a number of times most recently to my Windows XP computer and every time it works fine.
I just had to remove and reinstall Windows XP, and the only program that would start up and run without being reinstalled was Illustrator.

I wonder if this would work with any other version?

Mike

I have had tons of apps work after a reinstall, they just wont be anywhere in your registry or start menu which is not necessarily a bad thing. This will work with just about any app that does not need a registry entry. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back