Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interesting behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xman9

MIS
Apr 19, 2001
US
hello all,

scenario: using a batch file, i am replacing about 250 client's hosts file on boxes running win2K pro SP2. basically net using and doing simple renaming and copying over updated hosts file.

behavior: the change in hosts file is reflected only about 10% of the time w/no real reproduceables. i know the batch is working b/c i can go VNC to the box, find the old, renamed hosts file and open the new one and see change. i know win2k relies much more on DNS's than previous ver. of windows since it works occasionally, i know it's resolving based on hosts at least once. in aix i can force to use hosts first, all the time. one unusual aspect: if i manually make the change to the hosts file and write to disk locally, it, predictably, works %100 of the time. could be an attrib issue. hmmm. any thoughts?

-x

It could be. Have you checked the attributes? If they are archived they may not work reliable. Remove all attributes and they shoud go fine. Have you tried this? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back