Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InterDev v6.0 slow and sluggish

Status
Not open for further replies.

fid

Programmer
May 10, 2001
US
Hi

I am using InterDev to develop web applications using InterDev connecting to a web server using server extensions and integrated with VSS. And it is sloooo There are huge 5-10 completely locked up pauses every minute or 2, and when i refocus to InterDev from another window. I can see my cpus churning in the task manager during this time. Yeah 5-10 seconds feels like an eternity when it happens a bunch of times in a row trying to switch back and forth from InterDev to a browser or other application.

The website is pretty large with nearly 50,000 total files (files, images, media) and 250megs, but all the files are worked on locally then checked into VSS.

Anything i can set to make this thing less sluggish? The server is plenty powerful as well as my desktop.

I am using Windows 2000

thank you!

We had issues like this. I am not sure, but it seemed to be better after installing FrontPage Server Extensions 2000 on the server.

Also note that VI communicates with your server via HTTP, and not the windows network protocols. This is why FPSE is needed. You may find that the Server name is not being resolved by the WINS or whatever in a very efficien manner. Try adding the server to your local HOSTS file (search in the WINNT directory). Add the server IP and name to this file, and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I added the server to my hosts file. Not sure if it will help much.

The server is Windows 2000 Server /IIS 5, and Frontpage Server Extentions is 2000 (Version 4.0.2.5526). Maybe i shoudl try fpse 2002 and/or upgrade to VS.NET (?)

Is there any other way to set up the Development environment integrating with visual source safe without using server extensions? i dont use them for anything
execpt the fact interdev requires it

thanks

>> 50,000 total files (files, images, media) and 250megs

What a massive site you have grandma!

This is interesting.

Have you tried closing the Project Explorer window to see if it speeds things up at all?

-pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back