Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interconnecting two 3com 3300 SM Switches through fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

VitaNatura

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
NL
Hi All,

I'm hoping anyone here could help me out. I want to connect 2 3300 sm switches through fiber, but i'm not getting any connection at all.
The 3300 SM have 1000BASE-SX Modules and the cabling used is MMduplex, 62,5/125, mtrj-mtrj and is 75 mtrs long.

However, I can get it to work in a way that I don't want it to work. Don't know how to exactly explain it in words so I will make a scheme for this, so I hope you will understand.

3300 switch-mtrj-doubleSC-extension block-doubleSC-mtrj-3300 switch

So the switch both have a cable connected to it which have on one side an mtrj connector and on one one side double sc connectors, in the middle the cables are connected by using an extension block. The cables are both MM duplex, 62,5/125 and 1 mtr long.

Now my understanding of fiber cabling is not good, but now i'm really not getting why one scenario is working and the other isn't, while the types of cable seem to be the same.

Regards,

hope you guys can help

When you say it does not work, do you mean you have no fiber continuity? You may have to roll the TX/RX on one end of the fiber. Example:

3300 -->TX------Fiber------RX--> 3300
--<RX------Fiber------TX--<

Also make sure the connectors are CLEAN. Dirt can affect the transmission of laser lite. Use a can of compressed air and/or alcohol to remove any debris or dirt.

**Use caution, disconnect the source when inspecting. Laser lite is invisible without proper tools to "see" it. It is harmful to eyesight!**

To gain more knowledge about fiber, search out some info using Google or equivalent. It is a very different medium.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Thanks Syquest for your reply.

We did a flashlight test that showed our problem. When flashing into the cable (that was used in the scenario which didn't work)it showed only one light coming out of the other end, where it should have been two lights.
When flashing into the cable that was working it showed two lights as it should. So we will retur the cable to the reseller and receive a new one.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back